Monday, August 24, 2009

Things that go ‘pump’ in the night.


Thursday, August 20, 2009 (8:23am, Clouds, Rain and 54°…this is getting old.)

Today was a full food day. Magoo wanted to wet a line so while watching large pods of humpbacks and orcas he jigged for whatever was hungry. Four rockfish later I was busy filleting our pre-lunch snack of pan-seared blackened rock fish. Very delicious, reminded me of a meaty catfish or larger walleye. Now I was quite mistaken after the fish. I assumed (never do this!) that lunch would not be necessary based on the upcoming carnivorous dinner feast. WRONG! ‘What’s for lunch swab?” I broke in our new toaster and created Avocado Club Sandwiches.

They really hit the spot and gave us something to do as Magoo had transitioned to trolling for salmon. He landed a smallish Silver Salmon weighing a respectable eight pounds. Filleted, Vac-Pac’d and flash frozen. All that was left was a little back deck wash-down.

Successfully set the anchor for the evening in Inion Bay. Very picturesque with aqua-green water, dense treeline and steep banks. A classic meat and potatoes dinner was planned. Grilled NY Strip w/ Jack Daniels Mushroom Cream Sauce, Herb Roasted Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli and more fresh bread (plain for El Capitan and Sundried Tomato and Garlic for the rest) Dessert was more of Hayes’ creations, this time biscotti. YUM! Thanks Hayes!!

The evening feature film was ‘Duets’, a light, fun movie about relationships and karaoke. Go figure!


All tucked away snug in their beds I am awakened by a vacuum pump from the starboard head. As my berth (bed) is in the main salon, I hear everything, and having been working on this yacht for 6+ years know what virtually every sound it makes and when said sounds should and should not be heard. Vacuum pump at 3am running continuously indicates that someone didn’t properly flush the head. Hoping El Capitan would hear this and address (as it was his head) didn’t happen, so I made repeated attempts to silence the pump. Upon the fifth try, El Capitan appeared on the scene and rectified the problem. At last, silence. Well, except for the generator, heating system and the anchor being hoisted at 7am! Up and adam sailor!
What’s for breakfast swab?

2 comments:

  1. Chef Theo,
    I enjoyed reading your blog! My heart went out to you when those big waves hit! Food and sea- sickness is nit a good combination. So, do you live in Mass? I'm in NW Ohio. Have you worked or sailed in the BVI ?
    I cook on a 42 ft catamaran for ten days there every other year.
    I know the captain and the couples involved so it's a lot of fun.
    My e- mail is Georgeloper@ gmail.com
    Keep blogging,
    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog there. Thanks. Are there some companies I should be sending my website to? I want more Catamaran gigs! ;-) Next year I'm in the BVI for 10 days on a 42' Cat. If you know of anyone looking for a fun chef please let me know. Thanks,
    George

    ReplyDelete