Friday, August 14, 2009

The Nautical Chef—The Beginning

Writing about my time cooking on boats seems to be appropriate at this time. During the last 8 years working as a personal chef I've had the opportunity to jet away and cook for clients while they vacation. Hell, for some, their entire life is a vacation that never ends. Fortunately, they love my food and company, so I keep getting hired along.




When these trips approach I am met with mixed emotions. I am excited for the adventure and the opportunity to see the world from a perspective that most will only get through 'NatGeo', 'Travel Channel' or some periodical. However, getting my personal affairs in order and being away from my business for 2+ weeks brings a whole new set of challenges. Add a relationship to the mix and that's quite a cocktail!

The reaction to these working trips is one of, well, envy. I guess it is true that the grass is always greener. Or at least it seems that way these days. There is a HUGE miss-perception that this gig is all fun-in-the-sun. "Kewl man, like you get paid to sail around and cook on a boat?" "I bet you've got your own stateroom and tons of free-time?" Umm...yes I get paid very well and no, I do not have my own quarters( sleep in the main salon) nor 'tons of free time'(it's a boat!). However, as you will see by following this blog, it's not always easy but it is quite the adventure.

This leads me to one of the core reasons for taking the time to blog, I want to bring people along, first hand to experience all that cooking on a boat is about. While I wish it was all Jimmy Buffet, Margaritas and Bikini's....well, it's not. Happy hour (usually at 5 o'clock, sometime earlier, sometimes WAY later) does usually consist of some great tunes, tasty food and a shaken cocktail or 2 or 3 or '2 and a short one'. But the reality is, the ocean is a big, nasty place at times. You can be 20 feet from shore and really not be 'safe'. So, I hope you'll check in from time to time and see what I've been doing. I'm certain it will grab your interest, or at least make you laugh like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment