Saturday, September 6, 2014

Alaska-Kiliuda Bay, McCord Bay & Ocean Beach

Our first anchor spot of the trip after leaving Kodiak was Kiliuda Bay. After a relatively smooth 3-hour cruise we settled into our one-particular harbor for the evening. I preceded to grill up the flank steak that I had put on marinade and we enjoyed fajitas with three-chili rice and cayenne-infused brownies for dessert. Tomorrow we head southwest towards Old Harbor for water and to see some old friends.

Old Harbor, Alaska. A native community in a pretty desolate part of Alaska. El Capitan has been visiting this part of the world for the better part of 40+ years. He helped build the church here and is welcomed with open arms. I was 'stuck' here some years back when he needed to fly home for a family thing. There are no restaurants, bars, stores, shy of a very limited convenience store. So just imagine how yours truly dealt with that experience!
Part of the week was functional and not just pleasure cruising. Two new skiffs needed to be offloaded from the boat and transferred over bear-occupied land to an interior lake on Sitkalidik Island. These skiffs are used to access primo fishing grounds. After motoring ashore to the island, Skipper and I took a 'Kodiak Sleigh Ride' courtesy of our Token Native.

Boats in place we hiked back to the shore and awaited pickup by dingy and transport back to Three Saints.
It being Monday, I could not let my unorthodox change in latitude keep me from observing Mojito Monday! 
We anchored in McCord Bay under stunning blue skies and comfy temps. We enjoyed grilled ribeye steaks with a mushroom red-wine sauce, broccoli and roasted potatoes, ending with ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Tuesday was probably the best day of the trip IMHO. It was Ocean Beach Day. On the south side of Sitkalidik Island is a pristine white sand beach that rivals any I've ever seen. From our anchorage it's about a 4 1/2 mile hike one-way. We took the river and fished on our way to the beach. This experience was probably my entire motivation for leaving summer and going to Alaska. I couldn't wait to see the beach. I sprinted ahead of the rest in my group, totally forgetting that Mr. Bear could be my welcoming party! This is what I saw:
I didn't want to leave. I sprinted off down the beach with a grin ear to ear. It kinda felt like Chariots of Fire. Did a bit of beachcombing, lots of medical waste and plastic, but nothing too kewl other than a stray fishing float for the nautical wall at home. 
Here's a satellite view of Ocean Beach, note the stream, that's where we were fishing.
More fishing to be had, so back to the skiffs.

I've never been much of a fisherman. I've been up to Canada with my Father on a few occasions, but more for bonding than pursuit of the finney creature. Last time I was fishing in Alaska I was quite successful, so I was feeling a bit cocky this time around. Cast after cast, nothing...nada...nil...zippo. Just as we're motoring away I throw one more cast off the boat and BAM! a good sized silver salmon attacks my lure. A good 5-8 minutes of fighting and this was the result:
Facing a 45 minute boat ride plus a similar length hike and the dingy ride, I decided to let this one go back to school. Back at the boat, exhausted, we drank and told stories of our day and dined on Chicken Picatta over angel hair pasta followed by key lime pie.

Good Morning Sunshine!
I decided to hang back on Wednesday with The Boss and get a head start on meals for the next few days, relax a bit and plus, I wasn't really jazzed nor hired to be fishing on this trip. More later.
Eat Well or don't eat at all!








No comments:

Post a Comment