Tuesday, February 5, 2013

...And Away We Go!

The Nautical Chef sets sail to Maui!
Writing from 31,000 feet aboard USAirways enroute to PHX, then onto OGG. Today started quite early, alarm woke me from a pretty useless sleep at 4:20am, a coaxing of my eyeballs to accept contacts, brushing of the pearly-whites and out to meet Pat for my chauffeured ride to PHL Int'l.

Airport was a breeze at 5:30am, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a La Colombe Torrefaction (www.lacolombe.com) sign greeting me as I exited security. Stale muffin from Le Bus and perfect Americano in hand, I strolled down to gate C27.

What is it with airlines these days?! Shortly after boarding started they announced that, " all overhead bins are full and that all carry-on pieces would need to be gate-checked!" This is the sole fault of the airlines themselves for not being more strict about carry-on size allowed and how in some airports, baggage claim is more painful than filing taxes! The luggage industry and airline industry need to have a summit and get some standardization for allowable carry-on luggage. Simple. Million-dollar idea out there for the taking!

So we board real late, sit on the tarmac while they figure out how to fill the plane with fuel, then taxi to the de-ice zone for a lungful of glycol, finally catapulting down the runway towards the western desert. Somehow, el piloto claims we will arrive on-time or slightly early. Crazy. This is good, as my connection in PHX is tight to make the final leg to OGG (MAUI!).

So what am I doing at 8:39am? Besides drinking a bloody mary?? Planning meals and menus for the trip of course! Upon arrival in Maui I will stop at CostCo and grab bulk items, then head over to Lahaina for more shopping, a shower, dinner and a few TiKi drinks.

Mahalo for following! Tell your friends!
Chef Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment